Being away for a few days has it’s perks.
For example, I left my kitchen Friday morning to one lonesome ripe banana and I come home to find him barely breathing.
You may say there is no hope for this little guy, but I say he’s the perfect condition for making an ideal bowl of oatmeal.
Black bananas = smooth, sweet, creamy oatmeal. No added sugar or sweetener is required here.
This morning, put my banana to work and produced one of the most impressive bowls of oats I’ve made in awhile. I know some stray from adding an entire banana into their oatmeal, but I never back down from the idea. The whole fruit only adds more nutrients, more texture, and more volume so I say, go for it!
Since I don’t want to lack protein in my morning meal, I’ve become accustomed to adding some protein source in the pot, whether that be egg whites, protein powder or my absolute favorite, cottage cheese. And bonus, the cottage cheese adds a cheesecake effect. Trust me on this!
- ¼ cup dry organic rolled oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 OVERRIPE banana (remember, black!)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whipped cottage cheese
- ¼ cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoons granola (optional but I like mine with a little added texture)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (again optional but so worth it)
- In a small sauce pan, combine oats, milk, water, salt and banana. Stir together, breaking up the banana and working it into the oats until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off heat and add cottage cheese. Stir to combine and let sit for one minute.
- Pour oats into bowl and top with raspberries and other desired toppings.
So here is what I urge you to do. Go grab a banana and let it sit out for a few days. You’ll be tempted to eat it in an effort to save it before it goes bad but don’t. Let it go bad, let it go really really bad.
Then, add that spoiled beauty to your next bowl of oatmeal and be prepared to fall in love. Bananas may just change the world when it comes to “healthy” cereal.
The WINNER of the Resource Natural Spring Water Giveaway…..
Congrats Megan! I’ll be in contact shortly with your prize details.