Even though summer may be coming to an end, I’m still holding on to the warm weather recipes as long as I can. Simple, quick, and healthy are always my go-to in this season, which is why this Cherry Pecan Chicken Salad fits beautifully into this strategy.
I’ve found that the key in making any kind of picnic salad recipe is the amount of creaminess that is achieved. You don’t want it too dry and on the contrast, too much dressing can completely ruin the taste. I’ve never been big into mayonnaise so I began substituting Greek yogurt and was more than happy with the results.
The tang from the mustard, the sweetness from the cherries and the salty crunch from the pecans is a perfect balance to this light and healthy lunch. It really is the perfect texture and flavor combination.
Lastly, with any good sandwich comes the bread choice. I was lucky enough to have some of my favorite bread sent to me by Shiloh Farms. Their sprouted Bread For Life Seven Grain Bread is a wholesome choice, full of nutty whole grains but wonderfully soft and chewy.
Back to the salad though…
- 3 pre-cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped
- ½ cup Shiloh Farms raw pecans, finely chopped
- ½ cup Shiloh Farms sun dried cherries
- ½ cup sliced red grapes
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 T. honey mustard
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 slices of Shiloh Farms BFL 7 Grain Bread
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Add pre-cooked chicken breasts that are finely chopped to a bowl.
- Add pecans, dried cherries, grapes, Greek yogurt, stone mustard, the juice of 1 lemon, and dried basil to bowl with chicken.
- Mix together.
- Serve on lightly toasted bread with green lettuce.
This makes the perfect portable lunch or even a light dinner.
Before you get ready for casseroles and crock pots, give this one last summer salad a try. I promise you will love it!